Protecting your property from water damage should be one of your top priorities. After all, it’s the cause of many insurance claims and expensive plumbing bills, not to mention permanent damage. Statistics show that we are seven times more likely to experience water damage than fire damage and six times more likely to experience water damage than a burglary. Keep reading to find out what you can do to help protect your property against water damage.
Leading Causes of Water Damage to Your Property
The following are leading causes of water damage to your property:
- Faulty or broken plumbing fixtures (i.e. taps, showers, toilets etc)
- Bathroom wet sealing/waterproofing
- Cracked silicon/caulking (sealing compound on plumbing parts)
- Not shutting off the water meter
- Not cleaning debris throughout the year
- Unsuspected water leaks (sneaky as often hidden)
- Nature (rain, storms etc)
Prevention Is Better Than Cure
We have all heard this saying in relation to our health, but it could also apply to water damage to your property. Ideally as a property owner or occupier you should have in place an all year protection plan/checklist that reduces water damage to your property. A fully licensed and qualified plumber will help you further with this. They will carry out maintenance checks on your property.
Check Hoses and Taps on A Regular Basis
Regularly check your hoses that lead to your washing machine, dishwasher, Toilet suites and refrigerator yearly looking for cracks or water leaks. It’s generally recommended that all hoses be replaced every few years or where required.