As a property owner, bodies corporate or property manager, water efficiency at a property must be of prime importance. Australia is the driest continent on earth where water preservation is critical. Water efficiency helps with sustainability and saves you considerable amounts of money on your water bills.
What Makes A Property Water Efficient?
Water efficiency has become a somewhat ‘buzzword’ these days but let’s get straight to its true meaning which is part of the legislation in Australia. Each Australian state has its own criteria for water efficiency. Check your state’s criteria. In general, a property is deemed water efficient, especially a rental property if it has the following:
- Flow testing of all the properties Internal taps & mixer taps for kitchen sinks, laundries and bathroom hand basins
- Dual flush toilet suites (Government rebates apply in most states)
- Water saving showerheads
- Star rated hot water system
- No leaking taps (at the start of the tenancy or when the other water efficiency measures are installed)
- Water efficient washing machine (Government rebates apply in most states)
- Water alarm (optional but ideal)
- Water flow monitoring system (optional but ideal)